Thursday 4 March 2010

My Guitar Journey: Big Announcement

The big announcement: 
I'll star posting audio(maybe video) of the songs\skills i learn on the guitar.

My guitar bio:
My father bought me one of those special small Classic Guitars when I was about 12, but I didn't play it much. When I was around 17 I started listening to Fingerpicking (Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes...), but still didn't pick up the guitar there, mainly because I though I could never do that.
A year ago, give or take, one of my best friends(Hi Carvalho), told me he wanted to learn the guitar, I restarted the process with him. I started get really into it, and after a while I bought a new guitar(this time I bought an Acoustic), because my first guitar is too small for my fingers now.
So, thank you Carvalho (Unfortunately he isn't playing anymore, but I still have faith!).

Early Struggles:
My biggest struggle was the rhythm. I am not very gifted musically, so it took me a while to get the hang of it.

Where I am at: 
I have a learn a lot of rock\pop songs, or as Marty Shwartz likes to call them camp-fire songs.
Now I learn something a little bit more challenging, so I decided to learn the song that Tommy Emmanuel recommends as the starting point of a fingerpicker,"Freight Train".

Who is teaching?
Jeroen from Holland, or if you prefer Heronymusic from YouTube!
He has a great method, he teaches the song in phases each one adding something to the song.
In this particular case "Freight Train" has four phases.

First Plans
I expect my first four posts to be on the different phases of "Freight Train", I will post audio and maybe video if I overcome the shyness!(doubt it)
After that I have no idea what will happen.

Final Words
I will appreciate all the critics good or bad.
Even the ones with this format: "You Suck and you are ugly!".
Those are always helpful.
I hope you follow my Journey and help me trough it!

Cheers!

p.s: Also check out my online teachers.

2 comments:

John said...

You know, I always wanted to play the guitar. But I am ambidextrous and cannot decide which side to pick from. I don't do well either way. I play the piano by ear eventhough I took piano lessons at one time as a kid. I wish I could play something well and admire those that try and succeed. Wish you well in your endeavors and I thank you very much for commenting and following my blog too. Have a good day!!!

Del said...

Hey nuno,

I have also been playing guitar for a little over a year now. It can be frustrating at times especially bar chords but it seems like every time I pick up my guitar it gets just a little bit easier. There are a ton of lessons available on youtube that help if you find the good ones. Right now I'm learning some Alice in Chains acoustic songs which are not that hard and good picking practice.

Also if you find tabs of songs you like make sure and download them. Alot of tabs are being removed from the internet because of copyright so get em while you can.

Good luck and don't give up!

Post a Comment

Share your views!